Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Madeline Kratzer
Madeline Kratzer
Copy Editor

Madeline (Maddie) Kratzer is a senior who has pledged herself to the St. Charles High Newspaper cause for three years in a row. Maddie likes a warm, humid climate full of rocks to bask on and the occasional...

Mackenzie Bufford
Mackenzie Bufford
Staff Writer

Mackenzie Bufford is a senior at St. Charles High. She has been on the newspaper staff for two years. She is also an active participant in the school's DECA program for the past two years and this year...

Shaunessy McGowen
Shaunessy McGowen
Social Media Co-Manager

Shaunessy (Shaun) McGowen is a senior at St. Charles High School. Shaun spends most of her time listening to music and you can most likely catch her with a pair of earphones. She does crew in Theatre every...

Youth Contribution

Freshman Basler makes an impact on the varsity girls basketball
Violet Lewis
Grace Basler in the Turkey Tip Off game.

There are some freshmen that have changed the way games are played and helped the game become what it is right now. Grace Basler is one of those freshman girls on varsity.

“I was a little nervous but after the first couple games, it was really fun there, and I enjoyed it,” Basler said. 

While being the only freshmen girl on varsity, Grace has a lot of good opportunities and athletic skills. 

“I guess they saw that I could be useful and a good worker,” Basler said. 

Having no experience doesn’t stop anything, if a player wants to play they will play.  

“It can be challenging at times because they have little to no experience playing against players at that level, which can be a shock to some of the young players,” Head Coach Blake French said.

Teamwork is the most important aspect of a team, without it the members cannot support each other. 

“I really like my team, we work really well together, it’s just really fun being around,” Basler said. 

The coach is impressed with  how the freshman girls are playing. 

“I think that it’s fun to watch them play fearlessly and with confidence against girls who have been playing at that level for a few years,” French said. 

The whole girls team played fearlessly in the Turkey Tip Off game. 

“It was really fun. I liked it. I was really nervous because it was like my first game ever,” Basler said. 

The team beat St.Charles West with a score of 34-29.

“The atmosphere that the game brings is one that’s no other. I am one of the lucky ones who have not only been able to coach in a Turkey Tip-Off game, but also been able to play in that game,” French said. 

It was a come from behind win. 

“This year we were down for most of the game and we missed a lot of shots early on, but the way my girls battled back and won was something I’ll never forget,” French said. 

“I think that it’s fun to watch them play fearlessly and with confidence against girls who have been playing at that level for a few years,”

— Head Coach Blake French