Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Sammy Pogue
Sammy Pogue
Staff Writer

Sammy has always loved to learn new things and get more skills of writing, one of the main reason she joined newspaper. Over the years of growing up Sammy has realized that by writing stories about the...

Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Mackenzie Bufford
Mackenzie Bufford
Staff Writer

Mackenzie Bufford is a senior at St. Charles High. She has been on the newspaper staff for two years. She is also an active participant in the school's DECA program for the past two years and this year...

The Coldest Season and Coolest Team

Winter Guard has returned to SCHS. What happened this past chilly season for the new marching band spinoff team?
Tom Barcroft
The Winter Guard unites together to lift Isabella Lathan into the air

The members of Color Guard are used to showing off their talents in the season of fallen leaves and pumpkins. This year, however, they proved their aptitude for dancing during the coldest season on the new Winter Guard team. While there was a Winter Guard before, it has been a while since it’s reared its dancing head at SCHS.

“The last time we had a Winter Guard that I can find is 2017, although the last plaque I can find is 2015,” guard captain junior Emma Johannes said.

The hooded Winter Guard members put on a riveting performance (Tom Barcroft)

Originally, the Winter Guard was meant to perform as a percussion unit with the guard added onto it, but there were not enough people to fill the percussion unit. Even without their percussion pals, Winter Guard had many skills to help them through the season.

“A skill I learned is how to get people up into lifts,” team member junior Alex Johns said. 

Along with lifting people up, the Winter Guard worked with flags, which Johns enjoyed immensely. Other team members, such as junior Isabella Lathan, have always had a passion for the color guard in general. 

“I wanted to do marching band season back in middle school, but then I got into dance already, so I just decided it was time,” Lathan said. 

It was these talents and passion that led the Winter Guard to pit themselves against other guard teams. 

The Winter Guard team performs an ominous depiction of a murder (Tom Barcroft)

“We went to Edwardsville and O’Fallon Township for competitions, both in Illinois,” Johannes said. 

In Edwardsville, the Winter Guard achieved a score of 57 points, earning them ninth place. In O’Fallon, the Winter Guard achieved a high rank at sixth place with 61 points. This was all achieved without the Winter Guard obtaining any school funding.

This show was entirely homegrown, we’re funded by just the team and the coach.

— Emily Johannes

“This show was entirely homegrown, we’re funded by just the team and the coach,” Johannes said. 

Similarly to how the Winter Guard lifts each other up in the air, they lift each other up in spirit, creating close bonds and friendships. 

“I’m really close with all of them, I hang out with them outside of Winter Guard,” Johns said. 

Although the Missouri winter can seem bleak and endless at times, the Winter Guard does their duties and marches on. They’ve experienced a brand new and successful season this year, and look forward to the future of the rediscovered team.