Student of the Month
  • Rose Van Berkum, Colleen Ney, Alex Neubauer, Peyton Hess, Talan Mathus, Crystal Roeper Makriako, Grace Basler, Connor Murray, Natasha Jones, Kamiah Drones, Braylen Ballard, James Perkins, Tyley Palmer, Gabriel Lopez, Stevie Myers, Lamia Linson.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

2024 Season Track Achievements

Boys track teams takes home gold while girls take home silver and bronze at conference. Season wrap up of medals, all time lists, and more

The 2024 track season has had many achievements including PRs, athletic recovery stories, winning streaks, and all time lists. This year the track team has grown exponentially making themselves the biggest sport on campus with more than 100 athletes. The boys team has held a 11-0 winning streak while having one of the best seasons in years. The girls have also had an incredible season with many PRs and four athletes able to come back from tragic and athletic traumas leaving them injured for the majority of the season. 

“This season’s been really good, our team’s been doing great, the guys have been doing great and we’ve been improving every day,“ freshman Matalyn Basler said.

The Conference meet was hosted by SCHS at the Steve Stahl Stadium SCW track. There were many conference champions on our team and even more honorable mentions in the meet. The Varsity girls took third place overall in the meet with the JV taking second. Bryten Kendrick threw the javelin for a new school record (breaking her own) with a throw of 34.09 meters. Charlotte Kulma scored eight on the SCHS All-Time List in the Triple Jump competition with a jump of 9.79 meters. The 4×200 with Cecil Puati, Jenna Hollrah, Teriyah Long, and Atty O’Keeffe placed third on the SCHS All-Time list with a time of 1:51:56. On the JV side four of our injured athletes Rose Van Berkum, Violet Lewis, Lorelei Oetting, and Keeyley Lauer took second in the 4×800 with a time of 14.00.93 minutes. 

“This has been a great season honestly… we’ve had a ton of great things on the girls side, a ton of PRs; basically a PR every meet. We had 24 PRs just at conference alone… [and]  we had an epic four-injury team that ended up medaling at conference,” said Girls Head Coach Cristine Hilburn.

With the girls doing great the boys also blew the competition away, Varsity has had a 11-0 winning streak throughout the season with the JV boys closely following. At conference both teams took first place with the JV boys winning by 77 points. Many of our athletes have had great achievements, but especially one of our junior athletes. Jadon Salamone was named MISHA track athlete of the week with 90,000 votes against a state record holder in shot put.

Jadon Salamone sprinting in the 100 meter dash (Violet Lewis)

“It was very cool and kind of surprising, I didn’t even know I was [MISHA] athlete of the week until one of my teammates told me,” Salmone said. 

Salamone also was named Conference champion for the 200 meter dash and 400 meter dash placing sixth on the SCHS All-Time List in the 200m (22.82) and third on the SCHS All-Time List in the 400m (49.96) . Right behind him in the 400m dash Jack Jones ran a PR of 51.42 seconds securing him a spot of fifth on the SCHS All-Time List. Luke Nottmeyer in the 1 mile broke 4:30 with a PR of 4:28.30 placing third on the SCHS All-Time List and taking the conference title. He also took first place in the 800 meter dash (2.02.18). Issac Black placed eighth on the SCHS All-Time List in the 300m hurdles (41.63), seconds behind him was James Warner placing ninth on the SCHS All-Time List (41.99). Chris Ketchum took first place being named conference champion for the high jump and placing fitth on SCHS All-Time List with a jump of 1.86 meters.  On the relay side the 4×400 (ranked fifth in the state) took first in conference with James Warner, Charlie Reid, Jack Jones, and Jadon Salamone also placing fourth on the SCHS All-Time List. The 4×800 with new faces running it at conference was able to take first place with James Warner, Chris Kimsey, Sam Bland, and Elijah Case (8:39.78). The 4×200 meter relay also took first with Charlie Reid, Mateo Chang, Jack Jones, and Jordan Rowe (1:32.37). 

With the Varsity boys team seeming to dominate the competition in conference the JV boys also were incredible. In the first running event of the meet the 4×800 was quick to score points with Brody Adams, Noah Case, Tayler Palmer, and Cole Sulwer taking first place. In the other relay’s the 4×200 with Sam Adams, Kenny Minion, Jeremy Cochrum, and Caiden Wright took the conference title (1:39.96). The 4×100 with Rafael Martines, Zeek Lopez, Jermey Cochrum, and Will Bourgeade also took first with a time of 46.44 seconds. In the 200m, Zeek Lopez took first with a time of 23.89. Demarco Smith also took first in the 400m dash with a time of 54.36. In the 110 hurdles Will Bourgeade also took first (16.46). The 2 mile was an amazing event with Noah Case taking the conference title with a time of 10:51.68, but not far behind him was Will House with a time of 11:02.92 and Hezikiah Hanks Following behind House with a time of 11:25.53. A shocking gold, silver, and bronze sweep for the second to last event of the night. On the field events side Elijah Dorsey Kilgore took first in the long jump (5.74m). Gabe Young took first in the triple jump (11.50m). Deray Coleman took first in shot put (12.07m). 

We’ve been improving… even the JV team having 13 PRs at conference is huge I like where we’re sitting. We’ll have another week or two

— Mike Freeman

Along with the incredible finish in conference, the boys had an incredible meet at Hillsboro with the school record being broken by Jadon Salamone in the 400 and when districts followed he proceeded to PR and break it again. Many athletes were being sent on to sectionals for a chance to compete at state. On the boys side SCHS was named district champs winning by 27 points and sending 18 athletes on to sections not including alternates whereas the girls are sending five athletes (not including alternates.) 

“I’ve coached for 12 years and this is easily the best and most complete boys season we’ve had… the energy on the boys team is so high this year. It’s just been a really good family feel and we’ve haven’t had that in awhile” Head Boys Coach Paul Wright said.