Student of the Month
  • Rose Van Berkum, Colleen Ney, Alex Neubauer, Peyton Hess, Talan Mathus, Crystal Roeper Makriako, Grace Basler, Connor Murray, Natasha Jones, Kamiah Drones, Braylen Ballard, James Perkins, Tyley Palmer, Gabriel Lopez, Stevie Myers, Lamia Linson.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Shaunessy McGowen
Shaunessy McGowen
Social Media Co-Manager

Shaunessy (Shaun) McGowen is a senior at St. Charles High School. Shaun spends most of her time listening to music and you can most likely catch her with a pair of earphones. She does crew in Theatre every...

Mackenzie Bufford
Mackenzie Bufford
Staff Writer

Mackenzie Bufford is a senior at St. Charles High. She has been on the newspaper staff for two years. She is also an active participant in the school's DECA program for the past two years and this year...

Piper Ruebling
Piper Ruebling
Editor-in-Chief

Piper the Great is a senior at St Charles High, and is on her third and final year on the Newspaper staff. She enjoys the color purple, dragons, red pandas, and raccoons. She loves a good horror story,...

Off the Court Recognition

Two underclassman on the volleyball team have been recognized by PrepDig Missouri.
Violet Lewis
Lillian Bott and Rosemary Kuegele in game against North Point 9/26

Despite it being volleyball off-season two amazing players have earned honors on the Lady Pirates volleyball team. Sophomores Lillian Bott and Rosemary Kuegele, both freshmen on varsity two seasons ago, were put on PrepDig’s 2026 Pre-season watch list for this upcoming season. PrepDig is a source for volleyball rankings and recruitment amongst high school players as well as a daily news outlet for high school volleyball related information. The list is formed from the best athletes in Missouri amongst the 2026 graduating class. It’s an honor to say the least. 

“We went through a season last year and they were of course stand outs of our program… having young talent move up in the ranks is very exciting not only for our school but our area. I’m excited to see how they grow into the new season,” said Head Coach Sadie Kosciuk.

Courtesy of SchsActivities

For this upcoming season there will only be three seniors confirmed to play, creating a much younger team than the Lady Pirates are used to. This previous season there were eight seniors in the program. With such a young team it questions the opportunities arising and Bott and Keugley are leading the way. 

“It’s obviously taken a lot of hard work, and it’s great to know that it’s paying off. All the time, effort, and money we’ve put into it…just having it all work out is a really good feeling,“ said Kuegele. She was named Second Team All-Conference and First Team All-District this last season as well as hitting a career milestone of 500 digs.

Kuegele plays for the volleyball club High Performance South, on the Premier team, in the 16 year age group which is their highest team for the 16s group. Bott also plays for the same club known as ‘HP South’ but on the diamond team, the second highest team in the club.

“I didn’t really expect it, but it’s definitely exciting,” said Bott. Bott was named First Team All-Conference this past season and Second Team All-District. 

courtesy of schsvolleyball_

Bott was also claimed as “one of the best true liberos in class 3” by Prep Dig Missouri. It was said that she “knows her role and does it extremely well.” Bott hit 1,000 digs this year, a career milestone and ended the season with 1079 digs. 

Bott and Kuegele encourage more girls wanting to become Lady Pirates to join the team for this upcoming season for 2024-2025. Open gyms for the team begin April 14 from 5-6:30 p.m. They will be every Sunday for the next four weeks.

“Don’t get discouraged because a lot of the time, I know for me I didn’t make a team that I wanted to… I still kept playing and ended up having a lot of fun and grew a lot as a player,” said Bott.