Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Mackenzie Bufford
Mackenzie Bufford
Staff Writer

Mackenzie Bufford is a senior at St. Charles High. She has been on the newspaper staff for two years. She is also an active participant in the school's DECA program for the past two years and this year...

Piper Ruebling
Piper Ruebling
Editor-in-Chief

Piper the Great is a senior at St Charles High, and is on her third and final year on the Newspaper staff. She enjoys the color purple, dragons, red pandas, and raccoons. She loves a good horror story,...

Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Success on the Mat

Four girls on the Varsity wrestling team qualified for State this year
Courtsey of SCHS wrestling twitter
Cecile Puati receives the GAC North Girls wrestler of the year.

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, four girls competed at the State wrestling tournament in Columbia: senior Kara Schemkes (190), sophomores Cecile Puati (100) and Syria Bell (120), and freshman Shavon Kyem (110). They hope to have more girls qualify next year.

Next year we return three out of four qualifiers. We hope to qualify more. As a team, we had multiple girls get close to qualifying for State, so hopefully next year those girls can make it through districts,” said Coach Hanmore.

We finished 39th out 81 schools at state.

— Coach Ryan Hanmore

Sophomore Syria Bell not only wants to qualify, but hopes to actually medal next year.

“I’m going to try to go next year and then actually place this time,” Bell said. 

One out of the four girls who went State placed. Puati got fifth place overall in the 100 lbs. weight class. She has high hopes for next year.

“I’m definitely trying to go next year since I realized how easy it was,” Puati said.

Overall everyone seemed pleased with the results including Coach Hanmore.

“The girls wrestled their best at the State tournament,” Hanmore said.  “While Cecile was the only one to place, all of the girls wrestled their best. Syria Bell and Kara Schemkes were just one win away from medaling at State.”

The team finished 39th out of 81 schools at State.