Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Piper Ruebling
Piper Ruebling
Editor-in-Chief

Piper the Great is a senior at St Charles High, and is on her third and final year on the Newspaper staff. She enjoys the color purple, dragons, red pandas, and raccoons. She loves a good horror story,...

Madeline Kratzer
Madeline Kratzer
Copy Editor

Madeline (Maddie) Kratzer is a senior who has pledged herself to the St. Charles High Newspaper cause for three years in a row. Maddie likes a warm, humid climate full of rocks to bask on and the occasional...

Violet Lewis
Violet Lewis
Staff Writer

Violet Lewis is a sophomore at St. Charles High School. This is her first year on newspaper, but she has previous experience in journalism classes here at SCHS. Taking Journalism last year opened the opportunities...

Success on the Mat

Four girls on the Varsity wrestling team qualified for State this year
Courtsey of SCHS wrestling twitter
Cecile Puati receives the GAC North Girls wrestler of the year.

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, four girls competed at the State wrestling tournament in Columbia: senior Kara Schemkes (190), sophomores Cecile Puati (100) and Syria Bell (120), and freshman Shavon Kyem (110). They hope to have more girls qualify next year.

Next year we return three out of four qualifiers. We hope to qualify more. As a team, we had multiple girls get close to qualifying for State, so hopefully next year those girls can make it through districts,” said Coach Hanmore.

We finished 39th out 81 schools at state.

— Coach Ryan Hanmore

Sophomore Syria Bell not only wants to qualify, but hopes to actually medal next year.

“I’m going to try to go next year and then actually place this time,” Bell said. 

One out of the four girls who went State placed. Puati got fifth place overall in the 100 lbs. weight class. She has high hopes for next year.

“I’m definitely trying to go next year since I realized how easy it was,” Puati said.

Overall everyone seemed pleased with the results including Coach Hanmore.

“The girls wrestled their best at the State tournament,” Hanmore said.  “While Cecile was the only one to place, all of the girls wrestled their best. Syria Bell and Kara Schemkes were just one win away from medaling at State.”

The team finished 39th out of 81 schools at State.