Industrious Ambitions

Georgia Kohr honored with both STEM and Association of the University of Women Award

Angeli

Georgia Kohr during Mu Alpha Theta meeting

by Ben Steinhauer, Staff Writer

The STEM fields at St. Charles High are a hotbed for awards and award ceremonies as they are abound with opportunities therein as far as recognition is concerned. Senior Georgia Kohr was one of nineteen kids and the representative from St. Charles High School that received a STEM award dispensed by the Economic Development Council of St. Charles County. 

“There’s one for the entire county that’s for the Economic Development Council for St. Charles County so each school had someone they nominated to get that award from them so they actually honored 19 kids, one from each school,” Math teacher Melissa Kohr said.

Some of the criteria for achieving the award are measured by the amount of STEM classes one partakes in but is predominantly performance oriented. Some like perhaps the other eighteen students involved, may have strived to achieve the award by enrolling in classes that are integral to the principles of STEM long before the selection process came into fruition, but Georgia never knew of its existence until she was acknowledged. It is her predilection as well as vocation as she has hopes of venturing into civil engineering. 

“I’ve always thought about doing something in math. When I was younger not as much, but now that I’ve grown to appreciate math and appreciate the long ways to get the short ways and figure out solutions, it’s definitely affected my thought process on going about things. But I’ve wanted to be an engineer who tries to build things, figure things out, and solve problems. I’ve centered it towards civil engineering,” Kohr said. 

The STEM program has been quietly overseeing the achievement of students for years and it is believed by math teacher Rachel Madden that this enriched curriculum bears copious opportunities with it. Because of Georgia’s success it was easy for her teacher of three years, Madden to identify her eligibility early on. And eligibility that would especially pay dividends for other related awards. Georgia also attended an awards ceremony for the Association of the University of Women which has similar qualifications as the STEM awards. Madden was one of the teachers that put in their bid for Georgia.

“I’ve had her for three years so I know her very well as far as math goes, she’s an excellent student, she’s also planning on majoring in engineering, a math-related field so that was a reason why I picked her,” Madden said. 

Because the STEM program is mostly voluntary, there is maneuverability as it pertains to course scheduling and the motivation for students to succeed is mostly based on their own resolve rather than something that is imposed. Although Kohr admits that both the STEM program and her own parameters assist with this motivation. 

“It’s kind of a combination of both. I have a lot of will power to succeed in school. I’ve always had self discipline to get my stuff done, do it in a timely manner but also the guidelines of making sure I get the good grade. I just try to do the best in what I know. Pay attention, take all the notes, ask the questions, come into AIP, and just overall try my best,” Kohr said.

Due to the plethora of activities both school related and unrelated, there is a definite need to compartmentalize. Chiefly among the activities for Kohr are a job, Mu Alpha Theta, Key Club Volunteer, NHS, Renaissance Steering Committee. Part of the prompt for the speech Kohr gave at the Association of the University of Women ceremony was to list these activities to contrast against STEM for an undoubtedly unfettered and liberating tone from these people. Due to the desire to savor different ways to solve conflicts, moments can often be stretched thin thus Kohr just has to contend with preventing it all from coming to an impasse because of it. Although Kohr seems to be managing not getting burnt out from these undertakings quite well. 

“I like to keep a schedule; see my week out so I have time for homework,” Kohr said.