Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Violet Lewis
Violet Lewis
Staff Writer

Violet Lewis is a sophomore at St. Charles High School. This is her first year on newspaper, but she has previous experience in journalism classes here at SCHS. Taking Journalism last year opened the opportunities...

Lana Usery
Lana Usery
Social Media Manager

Lana Usery is a sophomore at St. Charles High School, and this is her first year on the newspaper staff. She loves reading, writing, and listening to music. She is currently on the Danceline, FBLA and...

Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Marketing Madness

DECA students participate in state, many on their way to nationals
Courtesy of schsgalley on instagram
SCHS DECA at the state competition in Kansas City.

DECA is a marketing organization that allows high school and college students to compete in marketing related events. DECA State took place in Kansas City from March 3-5. Senior Sarah Gingras went to state and loved it; she’s going to be attending the National Conference in California. 

“It was super fun honestly and it was a great experience to not only get to know new people from the city, but also just a way to practice my talking skills and how comfortable I am with talking to new people. I’d recommend it for anyone, and overall it was a 10 out of 10 experience,” Gingras said. 

Sarah was one out of 18 students who went to state and now she’s going to nationals. ’

I participated in the business services marketing event and got second place and Ms. Simmons said I was competing against 25 to 40 students so I’d say probably around 30.

— Sarah Gingras

“We had 18 students compete at state and five are going to nationals (Mackenzie Bufford, Jayden Carey, Ben Dietrich, Sarah Gingras, and Natasha Johns) and this is our biggest number of students going,” adviser Judy Simmons added. 

To go to DECA nationals students have to place in the top three in their event. Sarah placed second.

“I participated in the business services marketing event and got second place and Ms. Simmons said I was competing against 25 to 40 students so I’d say probably around 30,” Gingras said. 

Not everyone in DECA competes in marketing competitions; there is a leadership opportunity called ‘the leadership delegate.

“When they advance to state and then our national competition they aren’t competing anymore, they are participating at leadership academies at both of those levels and developing leadership skills,” said Simmons.

Sophomore Jayden Carey won as a leadership delegate at state.

“I was chosen because in District seven, six people ran and I was interviewed and had to write an essay and out of six people two people were chosen and I was one of them,” Carey said.