Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Mackenzie Bufford
Mackenzie Bufford
Staff Writer

Mackenzie Bufford is a senior at St. Charles High. She has been on the newspaper staff for two years. She is also an active participant in the school's DECA program for the past two years and this year...

Shaunessy McGowen
Shaunessy McGowen
Social Media Co-Manager

Shaunessy (Shaun) McGowen is a senior at St. Charles High School. Shaun spends most of her time listening to music and you can most likely catch her with a pair of earphones. She does crew in Theatre every...

Madeline Kratzer
Madeline Kratzer
Copy Editor

Madeline (Maddie) Kratzer is a senior who has pledged herself to the St. Charles High Newspaper cause for three years in a row. Maddie likes a warm, humid climate full of rocks to bask on and the occasional...

Marketing Madness

DECA students participate in state, many on their way to nationals
Courtesy of schsgalley on instagram
SCHS DECA at the state competition in Kansas City.

DECA is a marketing organization that allows high school and college students to compete in marketing related events. DECA State took place in Kansas City from March 3-5. Senior Sarah Gingras went to state and loved it; she’s going to be attending the National Conference in California. 

“It was super fun honestly and it was a great experience to not only get to know new people from the city, but also just a way to practice my talking skills and how comfortable I am with talking to new people. I’d recommend it for anyone, and overall it was a 10 out of 10 experience,” Gingras said. 

Sarah was one out of 18 students who went to state and now she’s going to nationals. ’

I participated in the business services marketing event and got second place and Ms. Simmons said I was competing against 25 to 40 students so I’d say probably around 30.

— Sarah Gingras

“We had 18 students compete at state and five are going to nationals (Mackenzie Bufford, Jayden Carey, Ben Dietrich, Sarah Gingras, and Natasha Johns) and this is our biggest number of students going,” adviser Judy Simmons added. 

To go to DECA nationals students have to place in the top three in their event. Sarah placed second.

“I participated in the business services marketing event and got second place and Ms. Simmons said I was competing against 25 to 40 students so I’d say probably around 30,” Gingras said. 

Not everyone in DECA competes in marketing competitions; there is a leadership opportunity called ‘the leadership delegate.

“When they advance to state and then our national competition they aren’t competing anymore, they are participating at leadership academies at both of those levels and developing leadership skills,” said Simmons.

Sophomore Jayden Carey won as a leadership delegate at state.

“I was chosen because in District seven, six people ran and I was interviewed and had to write an essay and out of six people two people were chosen and I was one of them,” Carey said.