Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Madeline Kratzer
Madeline Kratzer
Copy Editor

Madeline (Maddie) Kratzer is a senior who has pledged herself to the St. Charles High Newspaper cause for three years in a row. Maddie likes a warm, humid climate full of rocks to bask on and the occasional...

Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Piper Ruebling
Piper Ruebling
Editor-in-Chief

Piper the Great is a senior at St Charles High, and is on her third and final year on the Newspaper staff. She enjoys the color purple, dragons, red pandas, and raccoons. She loves a good horror story,...

Triumphant Harmonies

Band and Orchestra perform flawlessly

On March 14, the SCHS Band of Pirates obtained the Exemplary Rating for their MSHSAA Large ensemble competition. That same day, the SCHS Orchestra also obtained, for the sixth year in a row, the Exemplary Rating at that same competition. Both groups worked hard throughout the 2023-24 school year to improve their skills.  

“The Band has worked hard. They all sound so much better than they did at the beginning of the school year. I’ve noticed lots of improvement,” Band Director Ryan Blankenship said. 

Orchestra Director Amanda Davis said similar things about the Orchestra.

The SCHS Band of Pirates gets the Exemplary Rating. (@SCHSactivities)

“They’ve all worked so hard for this, every single player showed lots and lots of improvement. They did amazing at the competition.”

Although many were nervous about competing, they still did their best to perform.

“I was actually a bit scared to perform. I felt like it’d be tougher than marching band, but it was actually sort of the same,” freshman band member Alizon Mota-Luis said. 

After their turn to compete, the Orchestra and Band students took time to listen to groups from other schools perform. 

“I loved hearing all the different types of music that the other bands played. There were so many different variations. It was great,” junior band member Chris-Cortes Lopez said. 

Senior band member Chase Kluesner agrees with Cortes-Lopez. 

“I performed with both the band and orchestra, so I had the opportunity to listen to both types of music. I really enjoyed listening to the bass players.”

First chair violin player senior Odessa Burlis was thrilled about the orchestra getting the Exemplary Rating for the fourth time during her high school career. 

“We’ve gotten this award every year that I’ve been in high school, it’s an honor to get this award again.” 

This rating was granted to the SCHS band for the first time since pre-Covid high school.