Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Violet Lewis
Violet Lewis
Staff Writer

Violet Lewis is a sophomore at St. Charles High School. This is her first year on newspaper, but she has previous experience in journalism classes here at SCHS. Taking Journalism last year opened the opportunities...

Madeline Kratzer
Madeline Kratzer
Copy Editor

Madeline (Maddie) Kratzer is a senior who has pledged herself to the St. Charles High Newspaper cause for three years in a row. Maddie likes a warm, humid climate full of rocks to bask on and the occasional...

Lana Usery
Lana Usery
Social Media Manager

Lana Usery is a sophomore at St. Charles High School, and this is her first year on the newspaper staff. She loves reading, writing, and listening to music. She is currently on the Danceline, FBLA and...

Literally got the Seal of Biliteracy

St Charles High students test to earn foreign language honor

The Seal of Biliteracy is an award given to students who do exceptionally well and pursue the study of another language. This year the school has 15 students taking the test, also called the AAPPL, for the Seal of Biliteracy.  

“Mainly it’s students of Spanish taking the exam, however we have had students of French do it and we have had students of German do it,” Spanish teacher Senora Lopez Reese said, “This year we only have students of Spanish doing it.” 

This test is known for being challenging and a lot of effort goes into preparing for such a big test. These students are already practicing for the exam even in their first year of taking a language class.  

“Before we do the practices my students personally do all types of activities, games, projects, presentations, and that’s not necessarily to help them do better on the exam, I do that because it’s a part of the curriculum” Lopez Reese said.

Many colleges recognize and take note of a student receiving the Seal of Biliteracy.

Before we do the practices my students personally do all types of activities, games, projects, presentations, and that’s not necessarily to help them do better on the exam, I do that because it’s a part of the curriculum.

— Senora Lopez Reese

“Many colleges offer scholarships or if you were to take a language in college they would bump you up so you don’t have to take as many classes,” senior Jon Kite said.

Earning the seal of biliteracy isn’t the easiest thing to do, but with a good teacher many students can be successful,

” I feel like the length of the test was what made it feel so difficult, but Senora prepared us very well so it wasn’t as hard as you might think, ” senior Waverly Brock said.