Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Sammy Pogue
Sammy Pogue
Staff Writer

Sammy has always loved to learn new things and get more skills of writing, one of the main reason she joined newspaper. Over the years of growing up Sammy has realized that by writing stories about the...

Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Piper Ruebling
Piper Ruebling
Editor-in-Chief

Piper the Great is a senior at St Charles High, and is on her third and final year on the Newspaper staff. She enjoys the color purple, dragons, red pandas, and raccoons. She loves a good horror story,...

Literally got the Seal of Biliteracy

St Charles High students test to earn foreign language honor

The Seal of Biliteracy is an award given to students who do exceptionally well and pursue the study of another language. This year the school has 15 students taking the test, also called the AAPPL, for the Seal of Biliteracy.  

“Mainly it’s students of Spanish taking the exam, however we have had students of French do it and we have had students of German do it,” Spanish teacher Senora Lopez Reese said, “This year we only have students of Spanish doing it.” 

This test is known for being challenging and a lot of effort goes into preparing for such a big test. These students are already practicing for the exam even in their first year of taking a language class.  

“Before we do the practices my students personally do all types of activities, games, projects, presentations, and that’s not necessarily to help them do better on the exam, I do that because it’s a part of the curriculum” Lopez Reese said.

Many colleges recognize and take note of a student receiving the Seal of Biliteracy.

Before we do the practices my students personally do all types of activities, games, projects, presentations, and that’s not necessarily to help them do better on the exam, I do that because it’s a part of the curriculum.

— Senora Lopez Reese

“Many colleges offer scholarships or if you were to take a language in college they would bump you up so you don’t have to take as many classes,” senior Jon Kite said.

Earning the seal of biliteracy isn’t the easiest thing to do, but with a good teacher many students can be successful,

” I feel like the length of the test was what made it feel so difficult, but Senora prepared us very well so it wasn’t as hard as you might think, ” senior Waverly Brock said.