Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Mackenzie Bufford
Mackenzie Bufford
Staff Writer

Mackenzie Bufford is a senior at St. Charles High. She has been on the newspaper staff for two years. She is also an active participant in the school's DECA program for the past two years and this year...

Piper Ruebling
Piper Ruebling
Editor-in-Chief

Piper the Great is a senior at St Charles High, and is on her third and final year on the Newspaper staff. She enjoys the color purple, dragons, red pandas, and raccoons. She loves a good horror story,...

Sammy Pogue
Sammy Pogue
Staff Writer

Sammy has always loved to learn new things and get more skills of writing, one of the main reason she joined newspaper. Over the years of growing up Sammy has realized that by writing stories about the...

The Ambitious 5

Members of the FCCLA take home the gold
@SCHSfoodies
FCCLA State Winners (from left to right) AuBrianna Strong, Lana Lohaus, Aniyah Davis, Shavon Kyem, Karen Romero Medina, Kierra Skillington and Chase Nagel.

The Family Career Community Leaders of America(FCCLA) is an organization that focuses on students demonstrating leadership and providing structure to the fabric of society. On Jan. 29, Shavon Kyem, Kierra Skillington, Chase Nagel. AuBrianna Strong and Karen Romero Medina were able to exhibit their leadership skills and put them to the test while competing, resulting with them taking a total of 4 gold medals and 1 silver medal at Montgomery County High School. 

“I think it’s exciting. I think they all did amazing. They did their projects outside of class, so it was on their own time,” FCCLA sponsor Daniele Munzer said.

I think it’s exciting. I think they all did amazing. They did their projects outside of class, so it was on their own time.”

— FCCLA sponsor Daniele Munzer

FCCLA sponsor Elizabeth Laley agrees with Munzer. 

“All of them did great. They competed very well,” Laley said. 

Karen Romero Medina, a first-time FCCLA member, took home the silver medal in the category of Nutrition and Wellness. Medina felt very proud of her achievement. 

“I was a little excited about it. I feel very accomplished with my outcome.” 

AuBrianna Strong, another first time participant in FCCLA, was awarded a gold medal in the category of Chapter 2 Service Project Display. Strong, although feeling very nervous while competing, remained calm and collected. 

“I’m not scared of presenting in front of other people, but with them I was trying to crack jokes. I realized I had to remain serious since it was a serious environment.” 

Shavon Kyem, also another first time participant, was also granted a gold medal for the category of Chapter 2 Service Project Display. She worked alongside Strong. Kyem felt anxious about competing in front of others, but she pushed through. 

“I was a little nervous, so I didn’t talk as much and that’s something I wish I could change.”

Kierra Skillington is yet another first time participant, being awarded a gold medal for her category of Sports and Nutrition. Skillington felt very thrilled with the opportunity to compete in state competitions.

“I was very excited. I’m also excited to compete for state.”

Chase Nagel, a returning member of the FCCLA, had another successful outcome while competing in the category of Level 3 Baking and Pastry. Nagel was very happy with competing and being awarded a gold medal. 

“It’s very rewarding. The competitions can be nerve wracking, but the community itself is very welcoming.”