Student of the Month
  • Rose Van Berkum, Colleen Ney, Alex Neubauer, Peyton Hess, Talan Mathus, Crystal Roeper Makriako, Grace Basler, Connor Murray, Natasha Jones, Kamiah Drones, Braylen Ballard, James Perkins, Tyley Palmer, Gabriel Lopez, Stevie Myers, Lamia Linson.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Fresh Out of the Oven

Chase Nagel competes at national baking contest
Chase+Nagel+at+the+final+FCCLA+competition.+
Chase Nagel at the final FCCLA competition.

Chase Nagel took eighth in the national FCCLA Baking and Pastry Star Event: Level Three. Over the summer Nagel participated in the competition from July 1-6 in Denver, Colorado. With all levels of the competition, she prepared for eight months. 

FCCLA (Family Career and Community Leaders of America) is a club at many high schools across the nation for students interested in Family And Consumer Science (FACS). 

“She’s been in FCCLA , I think her entire high school career,” Laley said.  

Elizabeth Laley and Daniele Munzer are teachers and sponsors of the FCCLA club here at SCHS. 

“Munzer and Laley gave me full support and helped me with everything. My family and friends who worked as taste testers and critics were also a huge help,” Nagel Said.

“Munzer and Laley gave me full support and helped me with everything. My family and friends who worked as taste testers and critics were also a huge help,”

— Chase Nagel

Chase Nagel and other finalists after the Competition.

Nagel is an extremely talented baker and has a great work ethic. Nagel is not going to culinary school and does not want to make a career out of baking, but is in the contest to have fun and plans to join again this year. 

“Knowing Chase, I knew from, ya know, when she decided to compete that she would probably be going all the way,” Munzer said.