Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Shaunessy McGowen
Shaunessy McGowen
Social Media Co-Manager

Shaunessy (Shaun) McGowen is a senior at St. Charles High School. Shaun spends most of her time listening to music and you can most likely catch her with a pair of earphones. She does crew in Theatre every...

Piper Ruebling
Piper Ruebling
Editor-in-Chief

Piper the Great is a senior at St Charles High, and is on her third and final year on the Newspaper staff. She enjoys the color purple, dragons, red pandas, and raccoons. She loves a good horror story,...

Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

A Galvanizing Gig

Alex Frese leaves everyone astounded with his performance
Alex Frese channels his inner Jimi Hendrix to play the National Anthem.
Alex+Frese+poses+with+his+guitar.+
Melanie Mota-Luis
Alex Frese poses with his guitar.

Freshman Alexander Frese commenced his musical career when he was just 12 years old and currently participates in the St. Charles High School Jazz Band. His instrument playing abilities consist primarily of the trombone and electric guitar. On Dec. 18, 2023, Frese was given the opportunity to perform the Star Spangled Banner during a home game against Winfield High School. Even with his performance being embedded spontaneously, Frese was successful with obtaining love from the crowd. 

“Mr. Blankenship came to me very last minute. Five minutes before the game he came to me and asked if Alex could perform,” Activities Director Ben Owens said, “I asked if he was good and Blankenship responded ‘yeah’ so we got everything set up for Frese.”

Frese explained that it was a bit of a grapple to acquire this opportunity. 

“This [performance] wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t pushed for it to be that night and I was also a little nervous doing it.”

Sophomore Karen Romero Medina, one of Frese’s jazz band peers, was fascinated by Frese’s performance. 

“Watching him play the guitar left me flabbergasted. It was amazing,” Medina said. 

Owens explained how Frese reminded him of a famous guitarist from the ‘60s.  

“It was great. He was like a young Jimi Hendrix,” Owens said.

It was great. He was like a young Jimi Hendrix.”

— Activities Director Ben Owens

Frese’s commitment and efforts made it possible for him to rock out with his performance. 

“I think you should always push for what you want to do. you make your own decisions for your future and you shouldn’t let anything get in the way of it,” Frese said.