Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Madeline Kratzer
Madeline Kratzer
Copy Editor

Madeline (Maddie) Kratzer is a senior who has pledged herself to the St. Charles High Newspaper cause for three years in a row. Maddie likes a warm, humid climate full of rocks to bask on and the occasional...

Lana Usery
Lana Usery
Social Media Manager

Lana Usery is a sophomore at St. Charles High School, and this is her first year on the newspaper staff. She loves reading, writing, and listening to music. She is currently on the Danceline, FBLA and...

Review: “Priscilla”

Sofia Coppola’s new film “Priscilla,” gave a new perspective on the American icon Elvis
Review%3A+%E2%80%9CPriscilla%E2%80%9D

In Sofia Coppola’s film “Priscilla,” the common narratives and assumptions surrounding Elvis Presley (played by Jacob Elordi) are graciously set aside to reveal a complicated character revolved around desire, isolation, and fame. Through Coppola’s precise storytelling, she unveils Priscilla’s (played by Cailee Spaeny) real story and offers a fresh perspective on the interaction between fame, love, and isolation.

In this film teenage Priscilla Beaulieu meets superstar Elvis Presley at a party in his home in Germany. Her father was stationed in Germany and Elvis was too. The story of how she met him feels like it originated from a fanfiction. She was just 14 when she was begging her parents to go to 25-year-old Elvis’s party. 

The first 30 minutes of the film really showed the toxicity of Elvis as a partner. The second time they met he started trauma dumping on her, yet she became infatuated with him. He met her parents and they continued dating until he had to go back to the U.S. He practically ghosted her, and when he called for the first time in two years he asked her to visit him. That visit quickly turned into her parents letting her move in with him. Priscilla went from being a 16-year-old girl to being forced to grow up to be Elvis’s partner.

The rest of the film shows the highs and lows of their relationship through Priscillas’ eyes up until their divorce. The height difference between actress Cailee Spaney and Jacob Elordi definitely symbolized the age gap, control, vulnerability and grooming that was their relationship. Although Elvis seems like a villain from the viewers perspective he was a complicated addict. The movie showed the damaged mental health of this American icon and the results that confined young Priscilla. 

Sofia Coppola did a spectacular job with this film, from the casting to the glamorized sets. The budget was on the lower end for a film in theaters compared to others that are currently out. Despite the low budget, the acting was phenomenal, Jacob Elordi’s Elvis accent was unreal compared to Austin Butler’s in the “Elvis” movie. Cailee Spaney’s silence in the movie was loud and memorable. She played Priscilla beautifully despite this being her first major role in the movie industry. Overall this was one of Sofia Coppola’s best films and I definitely recommend watching it.

Overall Rating : 9/10