Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Sammy Pogue
Sammy Pogue
Staff Writer

Sammy has always loved to learn new things and get more skills of writing, one of the main reason she joined newspaper. Over the years of growing up Sammy has realized that by writing stories about the...

Shaunessy McGowen
Shaunessy McGowen
Social Media Co-Manager

Shaunessy (Shaun) McGowen is a senior at St. Charles High School. Shaun spends most of her time listening to music and you can most likely catch her with a pair of earphones. She does crew in Theatre every...

Strange Food Combos

Food combos are a popular marker of the average student’s diet, mostly due to the lack of effort they take and the cheap foods students can mix together. For example, sweet apple slices with creamy peanut butter, or bland celery sticks made bearable by buttermilk ranch. Those are the normal ones at least, and some students (and teachers!) have more unusual tastes, tastes that would make the regular snacker wince in disgust. But are these combinations really that bad? The staff of SCHSnow took this question seriously and dedicated an hour of their time to determine if the strangest food combos of SCHS are delicacies or disasters. 

• Starting off with a cheesy and sweet combination, SCHSnow prepared some extra cheesy Goldfish with buttercream Pillsbury frosting. Personally, the cheese flavor did not have as much as an impact as one would think; the icing it so sweet it negates the flavor. It’s just crunchy and seasoned icing.

• Piper Ruebling thought the cheesy Goldfish and vanilla icing combo was satisfactory, but not the best, stating, “this probably isn’t going going to become my favorite afterschool snack”.

• Lana Usery was not as neutral towards the icing and Goldfish, stating, “this is awful”.

• Behold, the dreaded pickles and peanut butter. The pickles were indeed juicy and the textures were uncomfortable. But nobody threw up, and the mix was not particularly foul.

• Piper Ruebling came to the defense of the pickles and peanut butter, stating, “I’ve eaten worse”.

• With the pickles and peanut butter out of the way, Colleen Ney’s special peanut butter and barbeque chip sandwich takes the stage.

• Emma Langstadt joins the SCHS test kitchen for the BBQ and peanut butter sandwich. She stated that “you can’t even taste the chips, like it’s just crunchy peanut butter”.

• Finally, Mrs. Hippe joins in on the test kitchen and tries a goldfish dipped in vanilla icing.

If any lessons can be learned from the SCHSnow test kitchen, it would be the lesson of not judging a book by it’s cover. Or judging a pickle by the peanut butter it’s dipped in. These food combinations, although sounding gross, were not as visceral as one may think. So, maybe take some inspiration, and make a pickle and goldfish peanut butter sandwich. Or don’t.