Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Violet Lewis
Violet Lewis
Staff Writer

Violet Lewis is a sophomore at St. Charles High School. This is her first year on newspaper, but she has previous experience in journalism classes here at SCHS. Taking Journalism last year opened the opportunities...

Piper Ruebling
Piper Ruebling
Editor-in-Chief

Piper the Great is a senior at St Charles High, and is on her third and final year on the Newspaper staff. She enjoys the color purple, dragons, red pandas, and raccoons. She loves a good horror story,...

Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Commentary: SCHS isn’t doing enough for Black History Month

School needs more than daily readings on prominent black figures

February is a crucial time to reflect on the contributions of African Americans throughout history. However, when looking at the contributions of our school to recognize Black History Month, it seems SCHS could do more to embrace Black History Month within our community.

This poll has ended.

Do you think SCHS does enough to celebrate Black History Month?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

While the school may have an initiative in place for Black History Month, it’s not enough. Everyday during the announcements, there is a Black History mindful minute. Although this is educational, most students don’t listen to or pay attention to the announcements. Our school has the opportunity to really educate and showcase this month by involving and teaching.

One area of improvement could be the integration of more Black history into the basic curriculum. This would show diverse perspectives in various subjects, especially history and English class. This wouldn’t just enrich the educational experience but also help combat biases. 

This could happen through any of our student clubs and organizations, not just Black Student Union – every group could make an impact.

Having a Black History Month Assembly would also be a great idea. There could be guest speakers and students to talk about their personal experiences as Black Americans. This would encourage open dialogue that fosters a sense of understanding. 

Empowering students to take a role in organizing Black History Month would make a big impact. This could happen through any of our student clubs and organizations, not just Black Student Union – every group could make an impact. This would show that students have learned inclusivity and would create a more welcoming school environment.

In conclusion, while SCHS may already be making efforts to celebrate Black History Month, there is room for improvement. By pushing Black history into everyday lessons, having events, and encouraging student involvement, it will show the school’s commitment to our values as a school.