Student of the Month
  • Rose Van Berkum, Colleen Ney, Alex Neubauer, Peyton Hess, Talan Mathus, Crystal Roeper Makriako, Grace Basler, Connor Murray, Natasha Jones, Kamiah Drones, Braylen Ballard, James Perkins, Tyley Palmer, Gabriel Lopez, Stevie Myers, Lamia Linson.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Shaunessy McGowen
Shaunessy McGowen
Social Media Co-Manager

Shaunessy (Shaun) McGowen is a senior at St. Charles High School. Shaun spends most of her time listening to music and you can most likely catch her with a pair of earphones. She does crew in Theatre every...

Emma Langstadt
Emma Langstadt
Staff Writer

Emma Langstadt is a freshman at St. Charles High. This is her first year on the newspaper staff after she was in Journalism during first semester. She is a Student Council class officer and is also participating...

Taming the Tigers

The Band of Pirates takes home eight awards
  • Max Sheils looks at the audience before it’s time to perform.

• (From left to right) Emerson Luetkenhaus, Hunter Wells, Israel Cervantes, Chris Cortes-Lopez, and Alizon Mota-Luis march towards the center of the field during their performance.

• (From left to right) Israel Cervantes, Hunter Wells, Karen Romero Medina, Emerson Luetkenhaus, and Alizon Mota-Luis tune their instruments before their performance.

• Colleen Ney plays the marimba at the Mark Twain Invitational.

• (From left to right) Noodle Lami, Emily Johannes, and Izzy Lathan talk about their performance.

• The Band of Pirates demonstrates their marching skills around the football field at the Mark Twain invitational.

• Jasire Tyler plays his instrument as the band rehearses before their performance.

On Sept. 30, the Band of Pirates left everyone jaw dropped with their performance at the Mark Twain Invitational, where schools from many different districts around the state of Missouri competed to be named the best marching band. Ultimately, the band gave their best performance, placing second place overall in the competition. 

“I think we played really well, we even got eight awards,” marching band member Lincoln Moseley said. 

Rose Basler was amazed by their successful outcome. 

“I thought it was crazy. I was like ‘Oh wow! Oh my goodness!’” marching band member Basler recalled.

The drum major, Max Sheils, was awarded Best Drum Major. The members of the band were delighted with their leader’s success. 

“I think he deserved it. He worked really hard for it, so he definitely deserved it,” Basler said. 

Sheils felt ecstatic about his accomplishment. 

“I felt great, I was really surprised. It’s really nice to see that my work paid off,” Sheils explained. 

Even after such a triumphant performance, the marching band still believes they have much to improve before their next competition. 

“We performed really well, but I think we still need to improve our visual performance. We still need to work on marching together,” Sheils said.