Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Madeline Kratzer
Madeline Kratzer
Copy Editor

Madeline (Maddie) Kratzer is a senior who has pledged herself to the St. Charles High Newspaper cause for three years in a row. Maddie likes a warm, humid climate full of rocks to bask on and the occasional...

Lana Usery
Lana Usery
Social Media Manager

Lana Usery is a sophomore at St. Charles High School, and this is her first year on the newspaper staff. She loves reading, writing, and listening to music. She is currently on the Danceline, FBLA and...

Sammy Pogue
Sammy Pogue
Staff Writer

Sammy has always loved to learn new things and get more skills of writing, one of the main reason she joined newspaper. Over the years of growing up Sammy has realized that by writing stories about the...

Taming the Tigers

The Band of Pirates takes home eight awards
  • Max Sheils looks at the audience before it’s time to perform.

• (From left to right) Emerson Luetkenhaus, Hunter Wells, Israel Cervantes, Chris Cortes-Lopez, and Alizon Mota-Luis march towards the center of the field during their performance.

• (From left to right) Israel Cervantes, Hunter Wells, Karen Romero Medina, Emerson Luetkenhaus, and Alizon Mota-Luis tune their instruments before their performance.

• Colleen Ney plays the marimba at the Mark Twain Invitational.

• (From left to right) Noodle Lami, Emily Johannes, and Izzy Lathan talk about their performance.

• The Band of Pirates demonstrates their marching skills around the football field at the Mark Twain invitational.

• Jasire Tyler plays his instrument as the band rehearses before their performance.

On Sept. 30, the Band of Pirates left everyone jaw dropped with their performance at the Mark Twain Invitational, where schools from many different districts around the state of Missouri competed to be named the best marching band. Ultimately, the band gave their best performance, placing second place overall in the competition. 

“I think we played really well, we even got eight awards,” marching band member Lincoln Moseley said. 

Rose Basler was amazed by their successful outcome. 

“I thought it was crazy. I was like ‘Oh wow! Oh my goodness!’” marching band member Basler recalled.

The drum major, Max Sheils, was awarded Best Drum Major. The members of the band were delighted with their leader’s success. 

“I think he deserved it. He worked really hard for it, so he definitely deserved it,” Basler said. 

Sheils felt ecstatic about his accomplishment. 

“I felt great, I was really surprised. It’s really nice to see that my work paid off,” Sheils explained. 

Even after such a triumphant performance, the marching band still believes they have much to improve before their next competition. 

“We performed really well, but I think we still need to improve our visual performance. We still need to work on marching together,” Sheils said.