Student of the Month
  • Rose Van Berkum, Colleen Ney, Alex Neubauer, Peyton Hess, Talan Mathus, Crystal Roeper Makriako, Grace Basler, Connor Murray, Natasha Jones, Kamiah Drones, Braylen Ballard, James Perkins, Tyley Palmer, Gabriel Lopez, Stevie Myers, Lamia Linson.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Marching to a New Beat

A brand new competing season
  • Chris Cortes-Lopez performing his flute solo at the Edwardsville High invitational.

• From right to left Alizon Mota-Luis, Rose Basler, Eric Kelley, Edward Cullen, and Alijah Guyot performing during halftime at the football game.

• Drum Major Max Sheils getting in place to direct the marching band at the football game.

• From left to right Chris Cortes-Lopez, Hunter Wells, Emmerson Luetkenhaus, Karen Romero Medina, and Israel Cervantes performing their woodwind solo at Edwardsville High invitational.

• Alizon Mota-Luis(left) and Chris Cortes-Lopez(right) marching towards the center of the field.

• Max Sheils directing the percussionists before a touchdown at the football game.

Once again directed by Ryan Blankenship, the SCHS Band of Pirates performed their new show titled “Take the Stage” at Edwardsville High School on Sept. 16. This year, the show includes a song called “We are Young” by alternative indie rock band FUN. 

“Our theme this year is ‘Take the Stage’ and it’s sort of based off of a rock concert,” junior color guard member Emily Johannes said. 

Performing at a competition for the first time this season, and for some competing for the first time ever, many of the freshman members were excited to show off their instrument playing and marching skills. 

“I was very excited, but I also felt really nervous since it was my first band competition,” freshman marching band member Alizon Mota-Luis explained.

Rose Basler, another freshman marching band member, agreed with Mota-Luis. 

“I was nervous, I think that affected my performance. I was playing too low,” Basler analyzed. 

Although their performance was very loved by the crowd, the Band of Pirates unfortunately did not place the top three on the leaderboard at the competition. 

“Sadly we didn’t place in the top three. Overall we were in fourth [place],” Johannes said. 

Max Sheils, the drum major, is proud of the band’s overall performance. 

“I think we did very well. We had a lot of improvement, it was one of our best performances. It wasn’t the best, but it definitely was one of our best ones,” Sheils said. 

Blankenship believes the band has room for improvement. 

“In the future, I think we should focus on how we look visually as well as how we sound,” Blankenship said.

In the future, I think we should focus on how we look visually as well as how we sound.”

— Ryan Blankenship

Drum major Max Sheils agrees that the band could work on bettering themselves.

“I think we need to work on being more into the music and playing more confidently,” Sheils said.