Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Shaunessy McGowen
Shaunessy McGowen
Social Media Co-Manager

Shaunessy (Shaun) McGowen is a senior at St. Charles High School. Shaun spends most of her time listening to music and you can most likely catch her with a pair of earphones. She does crew in Theatre every...

Piper Ruebling
Piper Ruebling
Editor-in-Chief

Piper the Great is a senior at St Charles High, and is on her third and final year on the Newspaper staff. She enjoys the color purple, dragons, red pandas, and raccoons. She loves a good horror story,...

Mackenzie Bufford
Mackenzie Bufford
Staff Writer

Mackenzie Bufford is a senior at St. Charles High. She has been on the newspaper staff for two years. She is also an active participant in the school's DECA program for the past two years and this year...

New Experiences with a New Tennis Team

The St. Charles High tennis team is back and with many new faces
Mady Orosco
Isabel Lindquist serves the ball on 8/29

This poll has ended.

Have you ever played tennis?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This year the St. Charles High girls tennis team is filled with many new faces, from freshman to seniors. There’s a few people with experience, but many without. 

“I think last year we had 12 seniors out of 16 people, and this year there are three seniors including myself,” team captain Isabel Lindquist said.

This year the team only has nine people and five of them are underclassmen. 

Last year we had two freshmen on the team. This year, we had four freshmen join the team,” tennis coach Jonathan Flaxbart added.

Because of this big change, the team is working on rebuilding their success and their team.

“Last year we had a lot more success winning matches and stuff just because we were heavily upperclassmen and a lot of people had more experience than this year,” Isabel Lindquist said. 

Besides the fact that there are more freshmen, almost everyone on the team is new.

“It’s been a little bit of a building year since most of our team graduated last year, we’re made up mainly of people that have never played before or underclassmen,” Lindquist said.

Flaxbart is hopeful that in the coming seasons, the team will return to its former glory with a little bit of work.

“The girls definitely improved as the season went on and I am confident if they all continue to play & work on things in the off season, then in two-three years time, we can be as successful as last year’s team was….we just need more experience and time on the court hitting balls,” Flaxbart said.

Everyone else was brand new to the team/sport of tennis.

— Jonathan Flaxbart