Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Sammy Pogue
Sammy Pogue
Staff Writer

Sammy has always loved to learn new things and get more skills of writing, one of the main reason she joined newspaper. Over the years of growing up Sammy has realized that by writing stories about the...

Lana Usery
Lana Usery
Social Media Manager

Lana Usery is a sophomore at St. Charles High School, and this is her first year on the newspaper staff. She loves reading, writing, and listening to music. She is currently on the Danceline, FBLA and...

Women in STEM

Students won awards for their hard work in science and math
Courtesy of Jonathan Flaxbart
Maddy Rosner and Odessa Burlis receive STEM award

The American Association of University Women is a non profit organization that stands for womens equality and empowers women through education. 

“For so long women were either undervalued in the workforce and even when we went to the awards they were still talking about the pay gap which is not a good thing,” Mr Flaxbart said, “we need more women in science to get the scales leveled out” 

St Charles High School gets two women nominees in both the science and math departments to give a speech on stage about a teacher that’s really influenced them.

“I wrote about Mrs. Madden because she’s the teacher that nominated me. I told her that her classes are always engaging and I always walk out of her room confident about the material, “ senior Maddy Rosner said. 

Two seniors Maddy Rosner and Odessa Burlis have excelled in science and math. The AAUW have noticed this and provided them recognition for their hard work. 

“I got the science award so I am proud, I am very happy because I worked really hard at science,” Odessa Burlis said.

It’s extremely important to notice and award women who pursue math and science. All of the science and math teachers talk about and agree on the person who gets nominated. 

“When I nominated Odessa Burlis other science teachers agreed with my decision, when I threw her name out all the teachers were like ‘oh yeah that’s a good choice,’ and the same thing happened with Maddy Rosner in math,” Flaxbart said.