Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Lana Usery
Lana Usery
Social Media Manager

Lana Usery is a sophomore at St. Charles High School, and this is her first year on the newspaper staff. She loves reading, writing, and listening to music. She is currently on the Danceline, FBLA and...

Shaunessy McGowen
Shaunessy McGowen
Social Media Co-Manager

Shaunessy (Shaun) McGowen is a senior at St. Charles High School. Shaun spends most of her time listening to music and you can most likely catch her with a pair of earphones. She does crew in Theatre every...

Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Sit Down, You’re Rocking the Boat

The Pirate Players perform the show “Guys and Dolls”
Melanie Mota-Luis
The Crapshooters hold their hats up high during “The Oldest Established.”

On March 7, 8, and 9, the spring musical “Guys and Dolls” was put on for the public. The show went swimmingly, as did the matinees. As always, the show took a lot of time and effort, but the actors persisted and put on a great show. Actors such as sophomore Stevie Myers, who played Ginger, had lots of scenes she participated and sang in, so Myers was busy even while she was backstage.

“[The hardest part was] probably time management, rehearsals take a lot of your time and I had a bunch of costume changes so I was trying to get changed quickly throughout the shows,” Myers said.

The students who performed also had parts in the show that they enjoyed getting to show to the public. 

“My favorite part is definitely A Bushel and a Peck with the little chicken outfit, it was so cute,” Myers said.

I liked Oldest Established, we all sang really well.

— Daniel Waters

Actors, as they are rehearsing and preparing for the show, hear the songs countless times. Like normal people, they develop some favorites.

“I like Sue Me, just because it’s nice, and I like Frank Sinatra,” sophomore Christian Gustafson, who played Benny Southstreet, said.

Sue Me seemed to be a backstage favorite.

“I liked Sue Me the most, I think it’s funny how they are arguing with each other the whole time,” Myers said.

Sophomore Daniel Waters, playing Rusty Charlie, enjoyed the time spent preparing for the performances.

“I liked rehearsing,” Waters said, “It’s a lot of fun, and performing was nice, getting to see all of our hard work come together.”

• Junior Caiden Wright (Sky Masterson) performs “Luck Be a Lady” along with The Crapshooters.

• Junior Chase Schnaible (Good Time Charlie) and junior Isaiah McRoberts (Society Max) perform the opening song.

• Junior Dillon Schreiber (Nicely-Nicely Johnson) performs the opening song.

• Junior Caiden Wright (Sky Masterson) and senior Keyley Schaub (Sarah Brown) on a bench sing “If I Were a Bell.”

• The Hot Box Girls dance during “A Bushel and a Peck.”

• Sophomore Christian Gustafson (Benny Southstreet) and sophomore Daniel Waters (Rusty Charlie) sing while holding newspapers during “Fugue for Tinhorns.”

• Junior Caiden Wright (Sky Masterson) and senior Keyley Schaub (Sarah Brown) smooch after “I’ve Never Been In Love Before.”

• The Hot Box Girls perform “Take Back Your Mink.”

• Junior Caiden Wright (Sky Masterson) and senior Keyley Schaub (Sarah Brown) hold each other performing “I’ve Never Been In Love.”

• Sophomore Isabella Lathan performs “A Bushel and a Peck.”

• The Crapshooters keep the crapgame under wraps.

• Junior Caiden Wright sings during Act One.

• The Hot Box Girls help senior Ana McAlister (Adelaide) change outfits during “A Bushel and a Peck.”