A Not-So-New Face in Guidance

Aimee Saffo joins the guidance department as a new St. Charles High Crisis Counselor

Benton Dietrich

Aimee Saffo smiles in the Guidance Office

There are a lot of brand new faces in our SCHS staff this year, and Aimee Saffo is our brand new staff member in the Guidance office as she takes on the role of Crisis Counselor. This entails helping out counselors and students in our building as well as those across the street at Success Campus. 

“I am here at High for the middle chunk of the day and then I’m at Success in the beginning and end of the day. As a Crisis Counselor I’m here to help if the counselors are busy with other tasks or, obviously, if a crisis happens,” Saffo said.

Saffo is coming in straight from getting her master’s at Lindenwood University, but she is a new counselor that you might recognize. Although Saffo is just coming in from graduating in May, she is not brand new to our school nor our staff. She has already spent some time in guidance here at High.

I actually did my internship here last semester in the spring of 2021. I was able to get a base of High there, but actually being here every day and doing my own thing, I love it here. It’s great being with this guidance department, it’s very tight knit and works well together.

— Aimee Saffo

“I actually did my internship here last semester in the spring of 2021. I was able to get a base of High there, but actually being here every day and doing my own thing, I love it here. It’s great being with this guidance department, it’s very tight knit and works well together”. 

Only last year Saffo bought a house and got engaged. She owns an 8-month-old black lab named Mabel and is trying to get back into playing softball and hockey again. Which she has considered the idea of possibly helping to coach.

“Mr. Bichel is actually a JV softball coach and I’ve talked to him about helping, but it’s a lot for my first year and I’ve gone back and forth on it,” Saffo said.

Saffo wants to make sure that she can help as many students as she can, and is very much looking forward to meeting students. She also says she wants to be a figure that students can come and confide in without the feeling that she is just another staff member.

“For the most part you’ll end up with the main three counselors, but I want them to know that I’m here for them and to become a familiar face.” Then Saffo added, “I just want them to know that I’m here for them for anything they need and they don’t have to look at me as some authority figure or someone to be scared of. I’m just a person here to help them and whatever things they need along the way.”