Student of the Month
  • Rose Van Berkum, Colleen Ney, Alex Neubauer, Peyton Hess, Talan Mathus, Crystal Roeper Makriako, Grace Basler, Connor Murray, Natasha Jones, Kamiah Drones, Braylen Ballard, James Perkins, Tyley Palmer, Gabriel Lopez, Stevie Myers, Lamia Linson.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Selflessness on the Field

The football team motivates each other this year by playing for each other and building selfless habits.
Violet Lewis
Bryon Miller (1) and Jason Rowe (55) doing a pregame handshake while they call the starting line up.

The football team motivates each other this year by playing for each other and building selfless habits 

This year the football team word of the season is ‘selflessness’. 

“Being selfless, I think, is one of the harder concepts… It’s my highlights, what am I doing, how do I get myself recognized. To understand team success builds individual highlights.. [and] learning it through adversity,” Coach Dan McMullen said. The word of the year is motivating the players to do as the coach says and play for each other this year. Eveytime the team steps out on the field, it’s easy to see the connections between them, and the brotherhood being built. 

“There’s coaching and then there’s relationships,” McMullen said. “My style is a little different, but I think it not only can make you better football players, but better humans.” 

The follow through to push the example to grow healthy habits to become the best versions of themselves is noticeable. Previously the boys have participated in various charity events and community projects and will continue as the holiday season approaches. Building healthy habits within the team is a primary objective of the entire coaching staff and it’s easy for the community to 100% recognize that. 

“It’s really motivating… everytime I think about it I just do my best… If we think about that [selflessness] everytime we play… we can come up with the win,” said Elijah Kilgore, freshman wide receiver and safety.  

The team is trying to pull out some more wins for this season using selflessness to motivate them to not only bring themselves to the win but to each other as well.

• Jordan Rowe (left) and Byron Miller (right) doing a handshake while starters are called to the field.

• The Team talking to the ref after a flag on the play.

• Will Snodgrass (14), Chris Vogt (5), Bobby Hayes (7), and Octavio Zapata (76) going back out on the field.

• Coach Dan McMullen and Captains Octavio Zapata (76), Max Jackson (67), Will Snodgrass (14), and Jason Rowe (55) walking to the center for a Captians meeting.

• Jason and Jordan Rowe embracing after a tough play.

• Ezequiel Lopez and Rafael Martinez talking on the sideline.

• Bryon Miller (1) and Jason Rowe (55) doing a pregame handshake while they call the starting line up.

• Coach Dan Mcmullen giving D’Monte Bagby in game advice on the sideline.