Student of the Month
  • Rose Van Berkum, Colleen Ney, Alex Neubauer, Peyton Hess, Talan Mathus, Crystal Roeper Makriako, Grace Basler, Connor Murray, Natasha Jones, Kamiah Drones, Braylen Ballard, James Perkins, Tyley Palmer, Gabriel Lopez, Stevie Myers, Lamia Linson.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Code of Conduct Changes

New rules added to conduct regarding vaping and hats and hoods.
Code of Conduct Changes

Hats and hoods have been moved to being in alignment with the dress code, and students have been pleased with the new rules in the code of conduct.

“I don’t have to do my hair anymore, it took a chunk of my morning,” sophomore Hunter Broad said.

“I don’t have to do my hair anymore, it took a chunk of my morning,”

— Hunter Broad

But as this is a privilege, Principal Ted Happel reminds students in their class meetings that teachers may request that students take the hat off if they deem it inappropriate, or if a test is being taken. As the dress code loosens up, the administration is cracking down on vaping on campus. 

With the rise of vaping across the nation, SCHS seems to be highly affected. In the sophomore class meeting on Aug. 29, Happel said that vape detectors will be added into the bathrooms as soon as possible, the detectors will be listening for loud noises, code words, and scanning the air for nicotine and THC pen chemicals.

Dr. Patricia Closson, Vice Principal describes the vape detectors as “An Alexa or Siri function…It’s always there in the abyss listening.” 

The detectors alert select staff in the building when they are triggered and will be added within the last few weeks.