A Fresh New Face

A look at new teacher Sadie Kosciuk

by Victoria Reinbold, Social Media Manager

Special Education Teacher and girls JV volleyball coach Sadie Kosciuk has joined the staff members of SCHS this year and been welcomed into the Pirate family by her students. She is also involved in FCA, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, at St. Charles High School. 

Kosciuk started her journey with St. Charles High School last year when she was a student teacher for Special Education Teacher Nicole Besselman. Besselman claims she met Kosciuk four years prior to her student teaching, at St. Charles West during Kosciusk’s student observation period. 

“She is an amazing teacher, she is a very student-centered teacher, with a lot of excitement for her content area,” Besselman said in regards to Kosciusk’s teaching style. 

Kosciuk has enjoyed her student teaching experience a lot and is grateful for Besselman’s guidance and advice.

“She is an amazing teacher, she is a very student-centered teacher, with a lot of excitement for her content area.

— Nicole Besselman

“Being able to have that student teaching experience with her especially too… she had so much knowledge to teach me,”  Kosciuk said when asked about Besselman. 

Kosciuk says her teaching style is a very involved and hands-on learning style, she tries to keep things in the classroom fun and interesting. Some of the things she likes using in the classroom are paper models that students can hold and look at. Kosciuk mentioned that one activity she uses in the classroom to engage students is setting up a fake crime scene with a mannequin, and having students investigate it. 

“The main goal of mine is to make sure my students understand what I’m trying to teach,” Kosciuk said. 

Kosciuk was the girls JV volleyball coach last year, and continues to coach this year as well. She started coaching in college and decided to continue coaching here as well. Kosciuk played Vvolleyball herself all throughout high school and college.

“I had a lot of great coaches… so I just want to continue that tradition and be the best coach I can be,” Kosciuk said. 

Kosciuk has become a mentor and inspiration to all of the girls on her team by not only coaching them but also giving advice and encouragement on the court and off. She learned that to build a good team, you need to have good communication throughout her own personal volleyball career. Kosciuk also claims that she wants her room to be a safe space for anyone. 

“I feel like I can come and talk to her about school or my personal life, and like I just know she’ll listen to me,” sophomore Cosette Gustabon said. 

“I feel like I can come and talk to her about school or my personal life, and like I just know she’ll listen to me.

— Cosette Gustabon

Most of the girls JV volleyball team seems to love having Kosciuk as a coach. 

“She really pushes us to be the best we can on and off of the court,” Gustabon said.