Illegal or Legal Abortions?

How students feel about Roe Vs. Wade possibly being overturned.

Walkout

SCHS students create a walkout event and fulfill there ideas

by Cadence Halliday, Staff Writer

The Supreme Court of the US had one of their possible decisions leaked that would overturn Roe vs. Wade. If the precedent is overturned, abortion laws will be controlled by the states and they can decide whether to make it illegal in that state, or not. This would affect every woman in the US. Some St. Charles High students are not happy about this.

SCHS students even created a walk out that happened on May 12 which was allowed by the school. Students got to make posters, wear red, scream at the top of their lungs about their beliefs on the football field.

“I will be participating in the walk out because I have the right to my own body and I feel like I should contribute to it. Women are definitely gonna retaliate once this is overturned,” junior Katrina Wilfong said.

I will be participating in the walk out because I have the right to my own body and I feel like I should contribute to it. Women are definitely gonna retaliate once this is overturned

— Katrina Wilfong

Some students are even shocked that the Supreme Court even wanted to address abortion.

“I think it’s unfair to be taking away rights, it feels like we’re going back in time and not moving forward with things,” sophomore Paige Bennett said. “If they end up overturning it I know it’s gonna make a lot of people mad. I probably will be participating in the walk out because I think that we all have a voice that needs to be heard.”

Not all students who wanted to were able to participate in this walk out due to tests, Lewis and Clark or other things.

“I unfortunately cannot participate in the walkout because I have Lewis and Clark,” senior Ryan Funke said. “Women are already retaliating and if they did happen to overturn it, it would get re-overturned because of the uproar from the public.” 

A lot of students feel that there is a certain limit to the amount of time a woman has to abort a baby, after that amount of time, they must have that baby. Meanwhile some students believe that no matter what the women is allowed to have the abortion.

“I think when you get pregnant and the baby is two months in then yes, you can abort it,” junior Ava Albright said. “After two months then no, because the baby can feel.”

A lot of kids have different opinions about this very hard discussion. 

I think it’s unfair to be taking away rights, it feels like we’re going back in time and not moving forward with things

— Paige Bennett

“Realistically it’s a woman’s choice, it’s not really a man’s choice,” junior Caleb Elliot said.

“If they happen to overturn it, it will be like when Trump took office. People kinda said stuff, and that was kinda it. We didn’t really do anything, we just lived with it,” Elliot said.

A lot of students have very strong opinions about this possible overturning while others see both sides. Junior Katrina Wilfong stated she hated how they were possibly overturning Roe vs. Wade.

“It should be legal to have our rights to our own body because we have the baby, we have the uterus,” Wilfong said. “There’s gonna be a lot of protests, we’re gonna make a lot of posters like when the BLM protests were happening.”

Texas had created a “trigger law”, after 30 days of the overturning of Roe vs. Wade the state would make abortion illegal, and that includes misscarriage medicines. “The law would make an exception only to save the life of the pregnant patient or if they risk ‘substantial impairment of major bodily function.’ Doctors could face life in prison and fines up to $100,000 if they perform abortions in violation of the law.” 

Missouri plans on joining a Louisiana plan which will make Plan B and IUDs illegal. Louisiana did have a plan on making abortion a homocide, but they removed it from the law. “The sponsor of a bill that would have subjected Louisiana women to murder charges for having abortions abruptly pulled the proposal from debate Thursday night after House members voted 65-26 to totally revamp the legislation, eliminating the criminal penalties.

Not only does this affect the present, but it will affect the future of the United States.