Graduating as a Pirate after 31 Years

Math Teacher Susan Highland Retires

Susan Highland

Highland showing us her set up for virtual learning.

by Hamda Hamed, Staff Writer

Graduating with the Class of 2021, Susan Highland is planning on retiring after 31 years of teaching at St. Charles High School. She has spent most of her profession as a Pirate.

Highland has been teaching different math courses since 1990: Basic Math, Math Applications, both Algebra 1 & 2, Pre-Calculus, Calculus and more. 

Most of her students would describe Highland as super caring. 

“She really cared for her students and their educations. She was always a great teacher who looked out for me which was nice,” said her past Algebra student, Joe Moss.

Another student of hers, Aidan Doughty, felt the same way. 

“She is a very joyful person and would never let me go hungry with Goldfish and fruit snacks.” 

She has had so many great memories here at SCHS. “Standing at the podium, with my math colleagues, that the President of the United States was going to speak to our school and community from was a once in a lifetime memory,” Highland said. 

Another favorite memory of Highlands revolved around sports.

“Who could forget the 2015 State Varsity Boys Basketball Champions, that was an unforgettable time watching those world class athletes and their coaches bring home the victory to St. Charles High School.” 

Highland always felt blessed spending her profession being a Pirate.

I will miss being here and I look forward to hearing of the successes of my fellow Pirates in the future!

— Susan Highland

“I feel privileged to have worked with and taught some of the finest people on the planet. My teaching colleagues are some of the most dedicated and caring individuals who inspire students daily,” she said. 

As much as she loves teaching, Highland is most excited about sleeping in and not having the commitment of a job. 

“Being a teacher is not a 9 to 5 job, it is spending many hours outside the contracted day to help prepare lessons and assessments to help kids learn and love math,” she said. “I did get a Mini Australian Shepard puppy in November of 2020, so I plan to spend time with her and my family. It will be exciting to see what new adventures await me in retirement.”

She always felt as if SCHS was one big family, the people is what she will miss most after she retires. 

“It has been an honor to be a part of this school for over half my life and retiring with the Class of 2021. The teachers, staff, & students are the most caring, kind, and thoughtful people I have ever met.“