Pirates Onto New Adventures

Senior Pirates move on to the next phase of their lives

Eva Rogers

These hang in the commons to show seniors commitments to college, tech schools, and the military.

by Eva Rogers, Layout Editor

Graduation is approaching fast and seniors are getting accepted into colleges and programs all over the place. The college banners have started to be put up in the commons so the seniors can proudly show where they will be going after high school.

Senior Sophie Gibbs, has announced that she will be attending Millikin University in Decatur, Illinois. She plans to major in Biology/Pre-Med to prepare for medical school to become a Pediatrician. She is also committed to playing volleyball with them.

“I absolutely loved the volleyball program, I met some of the girls and the coaches and I knew I wanted to play there,” said Gibbs. Millikin’s volleyball team is ranked #5 nationally for Division 3. 

She also chose this university because they have an amazing science building and have top notch labs and tools. It’s a small university with only about 2500 students meaning Gibbs will be getting a personalized education. 

“I really like the campus overall because it has old architecture, but is updated and new on the inside of the buildings.”

I love the campus, the programs they offer and the diversity.

— Domenica Suraty

Senior Domenica Suraty, will be attending DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois, the 13th largest, non-for-profit private university in the nation. The campus in the city caught Domenica’s eye.

“I love the campus, the programs they offer and the diversity,” said Suraty. She will be studying business and minoring in law.

University isn’t the only option after high school, senior Christian Huffman will be joining the Navy in June. Huffman decided to go into the Navy because his brother served for four years, along with wanting a higher education and more opportunities. 

“I am entering the Navy as enlisted under a four-year contract and after that, higher education,” explained Huffman. His goals are to excel in the Navy and receive good recommendations to eventually be able to choose where he will be stationed.

“I’m looking forward to working in the Navy as a Yeoman who deals with administrations, it makes me excited to say that I would either have a secret or top secret clearance!” said Huffman. 

Huffman is looking forward to getting a headstart in the Navy and eventually getting a PhD in computer science from either MIT or Full Sail University.