Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Mackenzie Bufford
Mackenzie Bufford
Staff Writer

Mackenzie Bufford is a senior at St. Charles High. She has been on the newspaper staff for two years. She is also an active participant in the school's DECA program for the past two years and this year...

Shaunessy McGowen
Shaunessy McGowen
Social Media Co-Manager

Shaunessy (Shaun) McGowen is a senior at St. Charles High School. Shaun spends most of her time listening to music and you can most likely catch her with a pair of earphones. She does crew in Theatre every...

Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

Gaining acceptance

eSports follows MSHSAA guidelines
eSports+player%2C+Eaken+Vang%2C+is+locked+in+while+practicing+against+fellow+teammates.+
Shaunessy McGowen
eSports player, Eaken Vang, is locked in while practicing against fellow teammates.

There has been a long debate on whether eSports is a real sport or not. Many people say it’s not because it’s not a physical sport but others disagree. There are certain rules and regulations that sports have to follow and believe it or not eSports follows the same rules.

“Currently, at least at SCHS, we are adhering to MSHSAA’s rules and the same regulations as any other sport with grades and being eligible to play sports and attendance,” Coach Ramsey stated. She explains that it’s not just a sport you can join, you do have to follow guidelines that anyone doing any other sport would have to follow.

“MSHSAA is the larger organization that governs highschool sports and recently they have approved and adopted eSports,” Ramsey said. ESports used to be fully run by MOSEF but as of late has started getting taken under MSHSAA’s wing and following their guidelines.

“We have not yet really hashed out the details of what that looks like for MSHSAA. Their general acceptance of the sport is encouraging because we are being recognized more and more as more highschools join,” Ramsey said. As eSports’ popularity increases, so does its presence in schools and in MSHSAA. This is a generation where many teenagers spend their time playing games and now they get to say they are in sports as well.
Although not fully recognized as a sport it is making its way and getting put under the category with the rest of the sports in the system. Soon enough eSports will fully be under the sports category and be seen as one.

“The people make it seem so welcoming,” Sophomore Nolan Day said.

eSports players locked in and focused during practice. (Shaunessy McGowen)