Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Mackenzie Bufford
Mackenzie Bufford
Staff Writer

Mackenzie Bufford is a senior at St. Charles High. She has been on the newspaper staff for two years. She is also an active participant in the school's DECA program for the past two years and this year...

Violet Lewis
Violet Lewis
Staff Writer

Violet Lewis is a sophomore at St. Charles High School. This is her first year on newspaper, but she has previous experience in journalism classes here at SCHS. Taking Journalism last year opened the opportunities...

Melanie Mota-Luis
Melanie Mota-Luis
Staff Writer

Melanie Mota-Luis is a senior at St. Charles High School. When Melanie obtains some free time, she likes to walk to her best friend's home. She loves listening to 80s music, especially her favorite band...

The Galley Gets an Update

School Store starts its year with a new look and products
Piper Ruebling
The Galley serves students during 3rd lunch

SCHS’s beloved Galley began its new year with lots of new things to look at and try, and it’s completely updated the stores look and the feel of it in general. From now accepting credit cards, to selling their new product, hot and fresh pretzels, the Galley has plenty of new surprises in store. 

“[My favorite part is] just the look of it, I feel like we have a full refresh and it just looks brighter and cleaner in there and when you’re talking about the class. Merchandising Lab, that’s all about how you present your products, how the space looks, and how to refresh it,” Galley teacher and sponsor Judith Simmons said.

Over the last year, the shop classes worked with Merchandising Lab to create new countertops for the Galley. These sleek new wooden countertops really brought the whole look together, and the entire staff really enjoys them.

It has just refreshed our look, updated our things, and brought in a lot of excitement for the Galley.

— Judith Simmons

“Personally as manager, my favorite part of the setup is the butcher block counters, on one of the counters we have the galley logo, and it’s a really cool design and is really nice to have stuff like that incorporated into the galley,” A-day manager Mackenzie Bufford said.

Overall, the new things they have just really bring the whole place together, and make it feel like a brand new store. It’s also proven to make things just a little bit easier to run during lunches.

“The new setup is much more organized and it just looks a lot nicer, so we have the new countertops and everything, we have new shelves with prices that everyone can see, and we also have a new register, and it’s a lot easier to use than the one they have years before,” Bufford said. “We also have a credit card system now, so it’ll be a lot easier to get people in and out of the Galley without holding up the line.”

The Galley also has one last new release, and kept a pretty good secret from us until they began selling them. The school store began selling soft pretzels, which have been a hit with everyone so far.

“My favorite new thing that we got this year is the pretzels, I haven’t tried them, but everything I’ve heard is good, and they’re really good with the cheese. They’re fun to make, using the pretzel warmer thing I think is wonderful, it’s a great addition to our stock,” staff member Julia Villa said.

• Shirts and apparel hang off the walls with new price tages

• The new mannequins show off apparel

• Karlen Theodorow sells products to students