Student of the Month
  • Ethan Kimsey, Taylor Souders, Jadon Salamone, Madison Cox, Lauren Murphy, Hailey Waddy, Mark Schaub, Chase Nagel, Mukhil Kumar, Ryan Cofield, Renata Restrepo, Kayin Humphreys, Sofia Everett, Ella Nottmeyer, Tola Messner, Blake Hort.
The student news source of St. Charles High School

Staff Profile
Mackenzie Bufford
Mackenzie Bufford
Staff Writer

Mackenzie Bufford is a senior at St. Charles High. She has been on the newspaper staff for two years. She is also an active participant in the school's DECA program for the past two years and this year...

Emma Langstadt
Emma Langstadt
Staff Writer

Emma Langstadt is a freshman at St. Charles High. This is her first year on the newspaper staff after she was in Journalism during first semester. She is a Student Council class officer and is also participating...

Piper Ruebling
Piper Ruebling
Editor-in-Chief

Piper the Great is a senior at St Charles High, and is on her third and final year on the Newspaper staff. She enjoys the color purple, dragons, red pandas, and raccoons. She loves a good horror story,...

Gifted is Gone

Gifted English has left the City of St. Charles School District at the high school level

Last school year was Matthew Lenger’s last year teaching Gifted English at the high school level before he retired, which removed Gifted English at the high school level throughout the whole school district. Gifted English may eventually make its way back to the high school level, but for now it’s gone.

“The biggest problem with gifted is that teachers have to be certified for the gifted program in addition to the subject that we teach,” English teacher and head of the English department Tori Ramsey said.

It was a challenging requirement that had the high schools without a qualified teacher.

“As for long term, I don’t know if it will come back. It will be at least a few years if they decide to bring it back,” Ramsey added.

Alex Johns is a junior this year, who took Gifted English the past two years.  

“It doesn’t really impact me much since I wasn’t going to have it this year anyway, but for being in it for two years makes me wish It was still happening because it was a really helpful class,” she said.

The absence of Gifted English will be seen by the enlarged English 1 and English 2 class sizes. 

“This year English 1 is very big because we only have two sections of it, English 2 is smaller but we have definitely seen bigger class sizes because of it,” Ramsey added.

This poll has ended.

Have you ever taken a Gifted English class?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.