Districts Success

DECA qualifies 18 for State

Districts+Success

by Joe Komadina, Photo Editor

On Tuesday, Feb. 4, DECA students won many awards and qualified most members for state competition, which will be held March 22-24 in Kansas City. 

Senior Simon Fernandez and sophomore Jonni Rayburn got first and second respectively in Sports and Entertainment. 

“When I saw that we swept the category, it was a good feeling,” Fernandez said. 

Sophomore Mia Ollerman got first place in the Quick Serve Restaurant event. She will move on to compete at the state competition, where she looks forward to “hanging out in Kansas City.”

For the competition, most students had to take a test or play a role. Senior Jordan Scarborough and junior Jack Walker had to do an oral presentation as well. They were a two-person team who took first place in Entrepreneurship. 

Despite qualifying for state, there are several students that won’t be able to attend. The reasons range from sports, vacations, or other prior engagements. 

Those that will be attending state are very excited to go. Senior Simon Fernandez said he’s very excited to compete “against people who are really smart and really gifted at what they do in DECA.” 

DECA State Qualifiers

– Claire Schkerke – 1st place in Human Resources

– Simon Fernandez – 1st place in Sports & Entertainment

– Jordan Scarborough and Jack Walker – 1st place in Entrepreneurship Team event

– Gracie Ruse – 1st place in Apparel & Accessories

– Emily Hartig – 1st place in Retail Merchandising

– Andrew Kelch – 1st place in Food Marketing

– Nick Quay – 1st place in the Project Management Sales Event AND 1st place in Business Services Marketing

– Justin Blair – 1st place in Integrated Marketing Campaign Event

– Kimberly Willis – 1st place in Project Management Community Giving AND 2nd place in Food Marketing

– Lily Blackwood and Kiley Finnegan – 2nd place in Hospitality & Tourism Team event

– Jonni Rayburn – 2nd place in Sports & Entertainment

– Sophia Marion – 2nd place in Principles of Business Management

– Mia Oellermann – 1st place in Quick Serve Restaurant

– Destiny Bucher – 3rd place in Principles of Hospitality

– Emily Black – 1st place in Principles of Hospitality

– Katelynn Schulte – 2nd place in Retail Merchandising AND 2nd place in Leadership Delegate