The student news site of St. Charles High School

Hard Work Pays Off

Pirate athletes continue their sports onto the collegiate level

Senior+Codi+Whitlock+signs+his+national+letter+of+intent+to+basketball+at+William+Woods+University.+
Senior Codi Whitlock signs his national letter of intent to basketball at William Woods University.

Corey Hahn

Corey Hahn

by Reid Bayliss, Staff Writer

Many athletes dream of competing at the highest level of their sport, but not all think that the highest level is the same. Some didn´t think their athletic careers would take them to where they are today, like senior Codi Whitlock, who started playing basketball in seventh grade. Whitlock improved year-by-year, but wanted to make an impact his senior year, and the hard work during the offseason showed. He lead his team in scoring and rebounding with 16.5 points and 8.3 rebounds per game, doubling his averages from his junior year. Whitlock also finished his senior season with first team all-conference and all-district honors, and was named the GAC North conference player of the year.

“I never imagined playing in college before, but before junior year,” Whitlock said. “I never really took it seriously.”

Whitlock signed his letter of intent to play for William Woods University in Fulton, Missouri.

Corey Hahn

Other athletes did not expect to be carrying on their sports into college, especially with the case in senior Taylor Lyles. Lyles, who played softball her first two years, came out for the Cross Country team her junior year, but used it as a way to stay in shape for her other sports such as basketball and soccer. But Lyles fell in love with the concept of Cross Country and her team, which she calls ¨family¨, and she worked hard in only her second year on the team. She was co-captain of the girls’ team and helped her team claim the conference and district titles.

“[I loved] the mental aspect of the sport, and how much of a team sport it was,” Lyles said.

To help her stay in shape for the next level, Lyles decided to pursue track to help her run and get times for the events she will run in college. She has decided to run Cross Country and Track at Missouri Baptist University.

Senior Taylor Lyles signs her national letter of intent to run Cross Country and Track at Missouri Baptist University.

Many athletes, like Lyles, are multi-sport athletes who put their time, effort, and sweat into their teams. Such is the case for senior Molly Schultehenrich, a four-year varsity volleyball and basketball player. Schultehenrich played major roles for both varsity volleyball Coach Peggy Shelton and varsity girls basketball Coach Ben Owens during her four years on their teams. It was a hard decision for her to choose, so Schultehenrich decided to play both next year at the collegiate level.

“Because I loved both sports so much, I couldn’t just drop one,” Schultehenrich said. “I was just as good at one as I was the other.”

Schultehenrich will be attending St. Louis Community College to play both volleyball, and basketball. All the while, she is one of the track team´s best runners, and currently owns the school´s javelin record.

Corey Hahn
Senior Molly Schultehenrich signs her national letter of intent to St. Louis Community College for Volleyball and Basketball.

But not all college commits are seniors, there is one lone junior at St. Charles High who has verbally committed to play sports at the next level and that is junior Anna Meyer, who has decided to showcase her skills at Truman State University after her senior year. This will be Meyer’s third year playing at the highest level for girls soccer, and she has dreamt of playing in college ever since she started playing.

“I’ve always wanted to play college soccer,” Meyer said. “It’d be weird if I wasn’t playing soccer.”

@Annaaa__Meyerrr
Junior Anna Meyer announces via Twitter her verbal commitment to play soccer at Truman State University.

There are other Pirate athletes committed to play in college, and others who have yet to make a decision on where they want compete the next year of their sport. But none of them can deny that the years of practice have paid off.

• Hard Work Pays Off

Archive

On a Mission For Tacos

• Hard Work Pays Off

Archive

CPR for Seniors

• Archive

Finals Exemption Fiesta

• Archive

Mr. SCHS Competition

• Hard Work Pays Off

Archive

Arena Day

• Archive

Spring Musical

• Archive

The Fire Isn’t Dire

• Archive

Saint Charles Goes to State

• Archive

Favorite Out-of-Town Teams

• Hard Work Pays Off

Archive

Fast-Acting Teen Saves Fellow Classmate

Hard Work Pays Off