The student news site of St. Charles High School

Saint Charles Goes to State

Several SCHS athletics make the trip to State

by Wilson Rosner, Staff Writer

In the winter sports season, many student athletes qualified to compete in the State competitions in their individual sports. The school sent individuals from wrestling, swim and dive, as well as the dance line team to compete.

The pirate wrestling team sent five competitors to state this season including; freshman Justin Mowry, sophomores Ben Bohr, Cody Imbierowicz, Dahvonte Henry and junior AJ Clutter. Both Bohr and Imbierowicz were district champions in their weight classes. Bohr was the only Pirate to place at State as he placed fourth overall in his weight class. The Pirates finished a successful season with a record of 13-6 and sent one more person to state than the previous year.

“We had a great group of wrestlers this year, they worked really hard and that’s a big reason for our success this season,” head coach Kevin Dill said. “We also beat West for the first time in awhile this year so I think it was a great season.”

Senior Sarah Bathe competed as part of the pirate’s dive team and had recently won GAC’s and set a GAC record high score. Bathe went on to dive at State and placed seventh overall to finish her senior year season.

“I think I dove very well and I’m happy with how I competed,” Bathe said. “I know when I dive well or dive poorly, and I know I dove well.”

As part of the pirate’s swim team, sophomore Autumn Looney qualified to race in the 100 freestyle and the 50 freestyle at State. Looney also set a new GAC record in the 100 freestyle of with a time of 51.87 and placed first in both events at GAC’s. Looney placed ninth in the 100 and fifth in the 50 at the State competition.

The SCHS varsity danceline competed in their State tournament at the Family Arena. The dancers gave two separate performances, one was a prop dance where they placed second, and the other was a kick line dance where they placed first for the second year in a row.

“It was really exciting that we got first place for the second year in a row,” junior Emma Shoup said.

Saint Charles Goes to State