The student news site of St. Charles High School

Blues v. Blackhawks Thriller

The St. Louis Blues face off against rivals Chicago Blackhawks at Busch Stadium for the Winter Classic

Courtesy of the NHL

Courtesy of the NHL

by Eric Myers, Editor in Cheif

Avid Blues fans have been waiting for this since 2015. When it was announced that the Blues would play the Blackhawks in the Winter Classic at Busch Stadium on Jan. 2, fans were pretty excited. This was the first time that the Blues would be featured in the Winter Classic in NHL history.

The Winter Classic began in 2008 in Ralph-Wilson Stadium, with the Buffalo Sabres hosting the Pittsburgh Penguins. The event attracted over 70,000 fans, so the NHL decided to continue the tradition. This year, the event attracted over 45,000 fans, many from the St. Charles area. One fan, senior Ian Colley, explained his experience at the Blues first Winter Classic.

“Out of all the games I have ever been to.” Colley said, “This one was by far the best one yet.”

Colley explained the experience as “a regular Blues game, times 100.” He said that the game atmosphere was truly indescribable.

The game started off with a rough patch for the Blues. Goalie Jake Allen let in a pretty easy goal, giving the Blackhawks a 1-0 lead.

This was one minute into the game.

The goal dampened the mood of the game, the rain did not help either.

An equalizer in the second period brought joy to eyes of fans watching. Left winger Alex Steen made a pass across the ice to defenseman Jay Bouwmeester. Bouwmeester brought the puck down behind the net and made a quick pass to center Patrik Berglund who shot it past goalie Corey Crawford for the goal.

Longtime Blackhawks fan, marketing teacher Judy Simmons, was hoping that equalizer would not happen.

“When he (Berglund) scored I got so angry and I started yelling at my house,” Simmons said.

The next period was one to watch.

Right winger Vladimir Tarasenko lit up the ice for two goals, and Alex Steen finished off the Blackhawks with an empty-net goal late in the third period.

“That was a really good way to win,” senior Danny Hartig said, “That is a really good way to remember the Blues first Winter Classic.”

• Blues v. Blackhawks Thriller

Showcase

New look, Same Expectations

• Blues v. Blackhawks Thriller

Showcase

Seussical The Musical

• Blues v. Blackhawks Thriller

Showcase

History Repeats, The Pirates Sweep

• Blues v. Blackhawks Thriller

Showcase

Looney is back….

• Blues v. Blackhawks Thriller

Showcase

Bohr Not A Bore

• Entertainment

Mr. SCHS Competition

• Blues v. Blackhawks Thriller

What's the Word?

Arena Day

• Entertainment

Spring Musical

• What's the Word?

The Fire Isn’t Dire

• Sports

Saint Charles Goes to State

Blues v. Blackhawks Thriller